Kiln building

The kiln is of a "sevres" type with a single firing box also called "bourry box" by anglo-saxons.

I built it alone during the month of june 2001, using about 2400 bricks second hand but not free and with mortar suck to them so they had to be cleaned one by one.

The kiln is built on adapted plans from the Robert Sanderson and Coll Minogue ones, modifications were made to suit my needs and the size of my kiln shelves.

I'd like here to thanks my good friend Andrew Stewart from Australia who made this enterprise possible.

Here is the site as it appeared before the building, it was a garage built on a concrete slab which made things a lot easier, at this stage I only had the pilars of the future roof erected.

Here is the base with the pilars holding the throat arch in place, on the 90 concrete blocks upstanding will rest the chamber and the chimney base .

Seen here from the fire box, the door and the throat are in place with the chamber floor also done.

Seen here from the front towards the flues with the shelves laid out for check of correctness.

Seen from 3/4 front with the whole base done, the flues and the decompression chamber.

The fire box is finished, I start the chamber itself, I haven't used any mortar.

Seen from 3/4 back with the decompression chamber and the base of the bagwall.

At this stage I start the building of the roof with the precious help of a local carpenter, from june to mid-july it is the rainy season in Japan and the tarp wouldn't be enough to protect from the weather.

The roof and the kiln progress at the same time, the arch form is in place.

The roof is well on its way and we're nailing the corrugated iron .

The difficulty rest on making sure that the nails get into the frame.

At last it's done .

The roof is finished.

The arch is done, I hope it'll hold.

The chimney base is in place.

The arch is finished, I will put a layer of ceramic fiber protected by a metal sheet for insulation purpose.

Last hand to the chimney.

Last course of bricks...

Here we go.

The finished chimney with the bracing.

The fire box with its lid in place so heavy that I had to use a pulley to open it.

Finished with the kiln shelves coated with 2/3 alumina 1/3 kaolin to prevent sticking by the salt.

Ready to fire wicket closed.

It will take me 2 missed firings to get it right ( the temperature doesnt go over 1068 and the 2nd time the bagwall fell in) to obtain a good firing with cone 10 flat and interesting results with the salt.

Now the kiln works well with good salt and firings going over the 1300 degrees mark in less than 14 hours for a capacity of a little less than a m3.

I fire with local wood, Japanese cypres or cryptomeria but the results are much better with pinewood when I can get some.

There is a sawmill in the village and it is easy to get offcuts but the wood is not free and not dry.

For firing on the hobs it is not much of a problem even a fairly wet wood burns well but the calorific power of the cypres is weak.

Please let us know your comments and suggestions at the following