April 17: Visit to Mr. Rodney Parr

I got up early in the morning and my husband helped me in preparing breakfast. He fried ham using a frying pan kept in the room, prepared coffee, warmed bread with a microwave, and wash a bunch of grape. It was simple, but tasty for me.
Today is Monday; we drove down to the shopping center in West Lakes Mall by the shuttle bus of the Caravan Park. First, we exchanged traveler's check into cash, and then bought some stamps in the post shop.
I wrote cards to Mr. Steven in Melbourne we met last week, Mr. Mike here in Adelaide, my mother, and my son. The stamp was so beautiful, I got another sheet.

Although I understand that I can't buy everything I want, it is still pleasant to look around the shops in the center. I found a sort of cheese that looks just like tofu dipped in the water. I may be strangely convinced that local people in the sense may eat this kind of cheese just like we eat tofu.

Packs of kangaroo meat on the shelf look like beef. Well, that lovely kangaroo was now in the pack, strange to see it. The meat of emu was also on the shelf.

Today's lunch is Aussie pie at a cafeteria in the center. As there are so many kinds of tasty-looking pies in the case, we took four kinds of pie. A cute salesgirl was amazed if we could actually digest all of them. A round vegetable pie (right) was nice as well.
In the afternoon, Mr. Rodney Parr drove up to our Caravan Park to pick us up at 3:30 p.m. and we drove down to his home in Marino, southern beach of Adelaide. He first accessed my homepage and dropped in "A Personal Record of Hiroshima A-bomb Survival" by the late Mr. Terao. He hoped to quote some messages in it on his book "Millennium of Grief." Since then, we have been exchanging E-mails and became acquainted with each other.

He kindly guided beautiful beach towns such as Glenelg, the terminal of the tram from Adelaide.
A long jetty and hills behind it came in sight. His house is located on the hill, he said.

The tall tree is a kind of pine. I love this beautiful shaped tree very much.

Driving up winding roads, we arrived his house that stands at a corner of the street. The large white house was really beautiful together with wonderful rose garden in the back. He had once taken a picture of the garden and sent me through an E-mail. This is, of course, the first meeting with him. At first, I was nervous a little, but he talked to us very slowly and clearly. He is a thoughtful, gentle person. I was relieved.
In the front garden are so many flowers in bloom: roses, hibiscus, hollyhock, ferns, and others. In the backyard is filled with bougainvillea and many tropical flowers.

Rod explains me that since the temperature of this area doesn't drop below 5 degrees C even in mid winter, plants flourishes very well.

A wonderful family of three, Mr. Rodney Parr born in London, Mrs. Cecills Parr born in Paris, and their son Mr. Anton Parr who went out just after the greeting. The couple carefully selects flowers not to interrupt blooming in the garden, they said. The most beautiful flower of the season is this "Queen Adelaide", Mrs. Cecills explained in smile.
The living room on the upper level makes me feel just as if I were on the top deck of a luxurious passenger boat. The room boasts of its magnificent view of whole Adelaide, beautiful beach in the front followed by skyscrapers in the downtown Adelaide far beyond thick forest on the right. The word "superb view" must have been started from here, I was really moved.

Not only in the gardens, but also in the room, Mrs. Cecills arranges greens very well. In the wonderful living room, we enjoyed afternoon tea and Dutch cakes.
Mrs. Cecills teaches French in Adelaide University. She is eager to hand down French culture being held by Vietnamese and Cambodians living in Australia.

Mr. Rodney retired from engineering business early than scheduled and is now writing a book "Millennium of Grief." He had once appealed to a Japanese press in Hiroshima and got some responses from Japan. He showed us vast amount of his archives and data he has gathered until today. They closely work together to publish his book in the near future. We talked much about peace, translation, and other topics over an atlas of Japan indicating Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and Oita.
We enjoyed talking until dusk and took pizza for supper. We took a commemorative picture in the room.

In the playroom is a Window PC. He soon connected to the web and called up my homepage. We talked about Internet, the size of our lands and population, and much more. Rod and Ken discuss the difficulty of translation in case of from Japanese to English in particular. In the playroom is a billiard table as well. Ken learns how to play it.
On the display shelf in the lower level, our souvenirs have already been arranged in order. I was really moved by the thoughtfulness like this and deeply appreciate for it. We have much to learn from them.
As the night goes on, they kindly offere to take us back to the Caravan Park. Since we thought he cabin might look unusual to them, we "invited" them in turn this time at the small cabin. I quickly copied pictures just taken in their home into a floppy disk and presented it to them.

As Easter holidays starts from this weekend, almost all shops will be out of business until the end of Anzac Day. Mrs. Cecills was kindly advised us how to survive this consecutive five days holidays.

Thanks to the Internet, we could meet the wonderful couple on face-to-face basis at last. We really appreciate their kindness extended us today. Today has become one of my best days in my life.