April 15: Kangaroo Island (second day)
We stayed Hotel Sorrento Resort in Penneshaw, a ferry terminal town.

Just across the road is the beach from which penguins come up to their nests. Noisy chirp of the bird awakened us early in the morning.
We enjoyed morning service breakfast by looking the blue sea. After a while, a sightseeing bus arrived at the hotel after having picked up tourists from the ferry.

Today's lunch was in Kaiwara Cottage. We enjoyed simple barbecue of steak and hamburger by drinking local wine.
We took a rest for a while. I wrote postcards to my mother and son.
This is Kaiwara Cottage on a vast borderless land. I found a small boy of the Cottage. I wonder how he goes to school.
Next stop was Seal Bay in the southern shore of the Island. We walk down to the shore.
Seal Bay is the home of the Australian Sea lion. Only guided tour by a ranger is permitted. We could closely watch the sea lions on the beach.

They are coming back from the sea or sleeping on the sand in-group. Invaders can result in fierce fight against the boss of a group. I counted the number of the sea lion up to 60 on the beach that stretches as far as the eye can reach. We are told not to reach sea lions within 6 meters. Some sea lions climb up near the walkway. I could closely watch them.
In Flinders Chase National Park, we can see wildlife animals such as kangaroo, koala, and other rare species. When our bus passed through a rough road, the driver taught us you could see wild koalas on the high gum trees nearby.

Tourists got off the bus and looked up the trees. I found some of wild koalas sitting on the trees here and there. All the tourists were delighted. The rain started to fall soon, I wondered how koalas would behave, but they kept sitting still without any movement.

In the west end of the Island is Admiral Arch. The color of the sea is really beautiful. Behind me in the bush is a walkway down to the shore. The plant doesn7t grow high because of strong wind, they say.

Pounding waves and strong wind created this magnificent arch. What was surprising as well was there were so many New Zealand fur seals frolicking in the water and on the rocks under the Arch (black dots on the rocks.)
I climbed back to the parking lot near Cape du Couedic Lighthouse. The house was built in 1906 to send signals to the ships that sailed this rocky raging sea. There are many wrecked ships under the surface, they say.

The nearby cottages housed the lighthouse keepers and their families. They are now available as self-contained accommodation for holidaymakers.
Kangaroo Island is located in Saint Vincent Bay, 113 Km off Adelaide. At 155Km long, and 55Km wide, it is the third largest island off the Australian mainland. Kangaroo Island was uninhabited when Matthew Flinders discovered it in 1802 and almost half the island has never been cleared of native vegetation. One third is conserved in National and Conservation Parks, making it an ideal place to see wildlife in its natural habitat.

Virgin bush and forest stretches as far as the eye can reach.

In the south end of the Island is another natural art, Remarkable Rocks, a set of huge unusual rocks. I had been expecting so much to see it.

The Rocks are a cluster of granite boulders, sculptured by the weather and perched on a granite dome rising steeply from the ocean. We can take a walk around these huge rocks, which have been carved, into many different weird and wonderful shapes by the wind and the ocean spray over many centuries. The color of the Rocks makes wonderful contrast with blue sea. Red patterns on the surface of the Rocks are of microbe, the guide sign reads.
We are approaching to the end of the tour. We took a break at Rocky River, a cleared area in the heart of a sugar gum forest. This is headquarters to National Parks and Wildlife Rangers.

tourists play with kangaroos or enjoy the tea break.
As the dusk gathers, we stopped at a small cafeteria in Parndana. The shop is probably only available food service in this time in this area. The driver suggested taking supper here because we will have no time to buy food until the arrival to Adelaide late at night around a half past ten p.m. We still have a long way to go: drive to the ferry terminal at Penneshaw, crossing Backstraits Passage, landing on Cape Jervis, and another long drive to Adelaide. All the tourists bought food here. We fed ourselves by bread, coke, and fried potato.

From the bus terminal in Adelaide, we took a taxi to Caravan Park, our temporary home. The time was already past 11 p.m. We were very tired, but the tour was very pleasant.