April 3: Rocks and Bridge Walk
Just a couple of minutes from the hotel take me to Circular Quay, the terminal of the ferryboats. Not only the tourists but also commuters or students make use of the ferryboats. Above the Quay is an elevated railroad station. Under a railroad bridge, a painter was making a funny sign like this, showing the Rocks district.

The Rocks is the first township in Sydney, retaining the color of the old days and crowded with many tourists all day long.

古いOld buildings are turned into wonderful shopping stalls or boutiques like this. Casual pubs and souvenir shops are everywhere as well.
The bridge is called Argil Cut アーガイルカット completed in 1854. This area is very rocky place as the name suggests, many exile from the United Kingdom created the town by cutting and caving the rocks, they say. On the wall of the Cut are clear remnants of the hand-cuttings.

On the edge of the Rocks is a huge Harbor Bridge connecting the City and north Sydney on the other side. The Bridge spanning 503m was completed in 1932. The bridge consists of car lanes, railroads, bicycle lane, and sidewalks. What was surprising, I found a guided tour to the top of the bridge.

The pamphlet shows the Bridgeclimbing Office on the left in which walking lecture and training is oriented in detail. The tour starts from the Office and goes up to the highest point of the bridge, and returns through the other side of the trus. The tour requires as long as three hours.
We were blessed with a wonderful weather today and enjoyed the beautiful scenery from the Bridge with the easy explanation by the guide. We took some commemorative pictures on the Bridge.

We can take nothing with us, because we were wrapped with an overcoat, safety belt and a radio receiver on the wrist, an earphone set to catch the explanation or direction of the guide.

The guide carries a digital camera and sends the images are quickly processed on the computer after we return the office.
High above the blue sea and white Opera House, I was satisfied with a little fear and a hard walk up to the top. The cap, handkerchief, and glass are all tied to the safety strings so as not be blown away by the strong wind and fall on the bridge or onto the sea crowded with heavy traffics of cars, trains, and ferry boats.
Three hours adventure ended safely but soaking with sweat. I bought some pictures taken on the bridge by selecting pictures on the computer screen. I also got a certificate that I was surely climbed to the top of the Bridge.

On my way to the shore, I looked back the bridge I climbed just before. Where I felt the most terrible was when I walked on the horizontal catwalk to the tower because trains and cars were running above my head with big noise and shaking the trus. From the tower, I walked on the arch, but it was not so terrible as I felt just walking on a broad and gentle slope with guide rail on which my safety belt was latched.

A sailing boat makes good contrast with the Opera House. Some old storehouses are remodeled to the restaurants with many tables on the terrace.

We entered one of such restaurants on the wharf for dinner. The Italian restaurant seated us on the terrace. We took Bulskettta, Razzania, salad, and aperitif. The main dishes were too much for us; I gave up in the end.